Why Python is like BASIC (and why this is a good thing)

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 15:02:02 EST 2002

On 15 Feb 2002 18:59:13 GMT
Robin Munn wrote:
[snip]

> All three of these things make for a very low barrier-to-entry for
> people who've never done any programming before. I'm sure there are
> other similarities as well, that maybe someone else will point out. Of
> course, Python goes beyond BASIC in many ways:

Well, sort of.  Of course air is like water too, except for breathing ;)

[snip]

> * Batteries included. This is the big one, which makes Python more than
>   just a toy language suitable for learning. The richness of the
>   standard library makes Python incredibly useful, and I for one would
>   like to see it continue to grow. I understand the concern that people
>   developing Python-based programs for distribution would like their
>   users to be able to run a 100k script without downloading a 10M
>   distribution, but I don't want to see that cause a reduction in the
>   standard library. Instead, we could make make two Python
>   distributions, a "full" install containing everything and a "lite"
>   install containing only the interpreter and maybe -- *maybe* -- a
>   couple of essential modules like os and sys. Then people developing
>   Python programs like, say, a pygame-based game, could distribute a
>   single package containing the "Python lite" distribution, their own
>   code, and any other modules their code depended on -- all in one
>   easy-for-the-end-used-to-install package.

We had a thread on this topic a week or so ago.  I agree that there should
be a standard, "batteries-included/kitchen-sink" distro and a "lite" distro
that can then be added to as necessary.  However, as was mentioned by
someone (Tim Peters?), someone will need to do the work to make this
happen.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)