Python 2.2 on windows 98

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Wed Feb 20 20:33:57 EST 2002

fumingw at yahoo.com (Fuming Wang) wrote in message news:<b0fd9226.0202201104.2c6a220 at posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble using the arrow key to recall commands in console
> interactive mode.  I even installed Cygwin and start Python from there
> but still got the same effect.  Is there anything I can do to get
> arrow key working?

You can use something like IDLE, PythonWin or PyCrust instead.

As suggested you can also use the cygwin version of Python,
but then I guess you will have trouble with a lot of extensions
that use C or C++ such as mxDateTime, win32com etc.

Then you can use a less crappy OS... Both Windows 2000 or linux
will solve this. You might be locked in I guess, but there are
really a lot of reasons to dump Win98...

Command.com is really such a piece of junk. Even compared to
cmd.exe in win 2000. You will soon curse other problems as well
if you do anything substancial at the DOS prompt. For instance
you don't have any possibility to scroll back in the screen
output. In cmd.exe or an xterm etc, you can go back and see what
all that text that flickered by really contained.

So, I suggest you get away from command.com one way or another.
Go GUI or change OS...