Why Python is like BASIC (and why this is a good thing)

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 18:12:21 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:49:44 +0100
Gillou wrote:

> And when downloading another one he gets the python interpreter again,
and a
> new copy of some packages...

Not necessarily.  There could be a "full" install that gives you pretty
much everything (as it does now), and a "lite" version that includes only
the python interpreter and _required_ libraries.  Additional libraries
would be available that do _not_ include the interpreter, so you could
download the "lite" version and add the minimum required libs for your
application.

> No, Python deserves a dedicated RPMfind  like utility that manages
> dependencies (OS, python version, required modules...).
> This would be a really great extension for distutils.

Unfortunately, that's a bad example.  I've rpm'd myself right into OS
reinstalls just trying to test some new application that requires (or
thinks it does) some newer library than I have (and that library is
depended upon by some major component, say GNOME).  It may have more to do
with the rpm packagers than rpm itself, but IMHO rpm does a fairly poor job
of managing dependencies.  Frankly I'm starting to prefer tarballs over
rpms...

Sorry to go OT, but I like to bitch about things that annoy me ;)

However, I do agree that a tool that manages library interdependencies
would be a good thing.  Apparently it's easier said than done (right)
though.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)