Precompiled regular expressions slower?

Peter Bienstman pbienst at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 26 13:43:32 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 13:36, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 26-Feb-2002 Peter Bienstman wrote:
> >> Perhaps Peter should post the relevant code so we can see what is actually
> >> happening for ourselves?
> >
> > Here is the relevant portion of the code:

(this was the fastest, orginal version, i.e without precompiling)

> After changing things as Jon Ribbens explains did you get a sufficient speed
> boost?

Changing from precompiling to a global var to precompiling to a local
var improved performance a bit, but still the non-precompiled version
was faster.

> My only other comment would be one of style and efficiency.  In the loop you
> check the line against numerous regexs.  Would each line really match more than
> one or two of those?  Perhaps a few strategic calls to continue may help.

Interesting tip, thanks.

Does't explain the slowdown of precompiled reg ex's, though.

Peter