Backwards Compatibility of Python versions

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Feb 4 15:17:34 EST 2002

[Paul Rubin]
> The rand module also disappeared, completely gratuitously as far as I
> can tell.  That's what broke the Redhat scripts.

[Aahz]
> The rand module was already deprecated in 1.5.2; it's in
> Lib/lib-old/rand.py; it's not even in the docs.

That was explained to Paul last time he complained about rand; I'll be
charitable and assume he skipped reading c.l.py that month <wink>.

BTW, it is in the docs:  rand is still listed in the "Obsolete" section of
the "Undocumented Modules" appendix of the Library Reference manual.  It
will probably be listed there forever, and rand.py will probably remain in
lib-old/ forever too (no module has ever been *removed* from Python).