[wxPython] RE: wxpython-users digest, Vol 1 #620 - 13 msgs

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Fri Feb 8 16:13:50 EST 2002

> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message news:<T%u88.94053>
> > The thing I find most frustrating (and have just aded a FAQ question
about
> > on the Wiki) is the lack of a connection between my intuition and the
way
> > sizers work. I have licensed a copy of wxDesigner just to try and get
over
> > this hurdle, but dammit I *still* can't put interfaces together that
work
> > the way I expect them to under window resizing.
>
> I have the same problem. It doesn't help that wxDesigner does sizers
> but doesn't do anchors via layout constraints - and Boa does anchors
> but doesn't do sizers, so you can't really experiment/maintain at the
> designer level with one tool. (Is it true that anchors are going away?
> - I remember seeing in the wx pages that they were being deprecated.

wxLayoutConstraints (which anchors are built upon) are deprecated, but I
don't think they will ever go away entirely.

> They seem to be simple and give predictable results vis-a-vis heavily
> nested sizers.)

Anchors are a (currently python-only) simplification of the very complex
layout constraints.  Riaan did a good job of abstracting out of the
contraints a common (but not complete) usage model that could be expressed
in a simple way.  The wxSizers were created with similar purposes (to
provide a layout model simpler than the constraints that handled most cases)
but from scratch instead of building on the layout constraints.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman