Please stop responding to Rue

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 7 12:18:12 EST 2002

Quoth ullrich at math.okstate.edu (David C. Ullrich):

| An amusing aspect of all this: I just browse clp occaisionally,
| since I'm an abstraction manipulator, not a programmer. So I
| overheard comments about this guy before seeing any examples
| of his output. Before seeing the things he wrote I was gonna
| say "you guys got it easy - you should see sci.math". But
| the funny thing is the guy reminds me _exactly_ of the
| sci.math guy I had in mind: If you can't see what a genius
| he is you're incompetent, you're all gonna be fired when
| the Truth comes out, etc...

So is sci.math choked with posts from people who normally seem
to have their heads screwed on, endlessly replying this guy as
if they sincerely think there's some purpose in it?  People who
take time several times every day to post about how useless his
ideas are and how they have no interest in helping?  Or are
they saner there than we are?

The existence of people with unusual ideas isn't surprising.
I'm kind of taken aback by the response here, though.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu