Scope question

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Feb 7 14:29:41 EST 2002

Joshua Marshall wrote:

> Another possibility:
>
> from mymod import *
>
> def dosomething(x):
>     import mymod
>     mymod.dosomething(1000)

Nope,this does not work.  As the O.P. already noted....

> > I tried mymod.dosomething(1000) but it returns an error:
> > AttributeError: 'builtin_function_or_method' object has no attribute
> > 'dosomething'

from module import *  does not create a reference to module in the current
namespace, so there's nothing there to look up attributes from.

I still think that the O.P. is probably better off just using the explicit 'import
mymod; mymod.dosomething()' notation, since that is almost always the safer way to
do things, but that's a different story.  :)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International