win32com and Passing SafeArrays of Doubles

Jeffrey N. Shelton shelton at custommachine.com
Sat Feb 16 01:30:27 EST 2002

Success, at last!

Orginally, the makepy-generated code which didn't work was:

return self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(0x10153, 0x0, 1, (11, 0),
                                              ((12, 1), (3, 1)),
doubleInfoIn, typeWanted)
                                               ^^^
where doubleInfoIn was the array that was being mangled.

Using a little brute force, I determined that the call will work correctly
with either:

return self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(0x10153, 0x0, 1, (11, 0),
                                              ((8197, 1), (3, 1)),
doubleInfoIn, typeWanted)
                                                ^^^
or

return self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(0x10153, 0x0, 1, (11, 0),
                                              ((12293, 1), (3, 1)),
doubleInfoIn, typeWanted)
                                                 ^^^

This indicates that a type flag of either VT_ARRAY | VT_R8  or
VT_ARRAY | VT_VECTOR | VT_R8 is required.

(I can also get things to work with type values of 8198, 8199, 12294, and
12295, although it's beyond me why they should work...)

With this correction, I can pass in the array as a tuple, a list, or a tuple
within a
tuple, and it all works fine.

The type library information for this particular call is:

[id(0x00010153), helpstring("Select enities by ray fire")]
VARIANT_BOOL SelectByRay(
[in] VARIANT doubleInfoIn,
[in] long typeWanted);

and the SolidWorks C++ code for handling this function is:

BOOL IModelDoc2::SelectByRay(const VARIANT& doubleInfoIn, long typeWanted)
{
 BOOL result;
 static BYTE parms[] =
  VTS_VARIANT VTS_I4;
 InvokeHelper(0x10153, DISPATCH_METHOD, VT_BOOL, (void*)&result, parms,
  &doubleInfoIn, typeWanted);
 return result;
}

Since the type library doesn't indicate anything other than a VARIANT for
input, I don't know how one is supposed to figure this out in advance.
However, if I can provide more information that would help allow makepy to
better handle these types of arrays, please let me know.

And thank you, Mark, for your generous time and assistance!

Jeff