Saving Browser State without Cookies

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 8 08:25:15 EST 2002

phil hunt" <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:slrna6649e.d87.philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk...
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:51:53 -0500, Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com>
wrote:
> >"Orr, Steve" <sorr at rightnow.com> wrote in message
> >news:mailman.1012938609.3651.python-list at python.org...
> >> Python Newbie here.
> >>
> >> I need to migrate a web application from PHP to Python and I have a
> >> requirement to save state info WITHOUT using cookies where much of the
> >state
> >> data MUST not be visible to the end users. The PHP application allows
> >users
> >> to logon to one of several databases using any of a number of Oracle
> >> user/passwords. The logon info needs to be saved for queries on other
> >pages
> >> in the app. With PHP it's easy to avoid cookies by saving this info
using
> >> its session handling functions. Is there an EASY way to do this in
Python
> >> without having to adopt the Mother of all frameworks?
> >>
> >Disclaimer: I have never used PHP.
> >
> >However, *if* PHP allows you to associate requests with session state,
then
> >*either*:
> >
> >a) it does use cookies, you just don't know about them, or
> >b) it puts session references in the URL.
> >
> >There simply isn't any other available mechanism.
>
> You could go by the client's IP address. Though IMO this is a bit iffy.

Extremely iffy when you realise that many X terminal users may run their web
clients on the same CPU, not to mention Lynx users on timesharing terminals.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py"