Problems with telnetlib

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 17:26:51 EST 2002

[Bengt Richter]
> BTW, why are context diffs preferred over unified?

Because Guido says so.  Really, that's all there is to it.  In general, he
doesn't care so much about what the code used to do as about what it does
after the change, and especially for complex patches the "after" logic is
simply easier to follow if it isn't cluttered via interleaving with the
"before" logic.  OTOH, the opposite seems true more often to me when looking
at simple patches.  Someone should write a tool to generate both patch
flavors, compare them, and objectively determine which is clearer.  Indeed,
I demand someone do this at once <wink>.