Help! IIS and Python

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Tue Feb 26 17:22:46 EST 2002

Jim Abrams wrote:

> If, like me, you don't have the option of moving away from IIS, you can
> save yourself alot of headache, time, and resources by writing a nice
> wrapper object, sticking Response inside and using your own. You can then
> add sorely lacking functionality, like str conversion, to it as well as any
> additional shortcuts.
>
> I do it for most of the built ins (Response, Request, Server, Appication,
> Session) and it's been a lifesaver.

If thats your bag, feel free to use my 'iisUtils' module.

It both has a windows version of Pythons FieldStorage, and a Dict
version of the Request.

To get FieldStorage:

import iisUtils

fs = iisUtils.winFieldStorage(Request)

<%= fs['somevar'].value%>

This is good because it can handle file uploads. But it's a bother that
it's not a stright dict for the rest.

So to get Request as a plain dict:

req = iisUtils.request(Request)

<%= req['somevar']%>

etc.

Its documented in the code and works nicely in production code. If there
are _many_ fields in the form 'request' is faster than 'winFieldStorage'.

regards Max M