Editors for Python

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Mon Feb 25 10:41:32 EST 2002

On 25 Feb 2002 08:18:39 -0800, mtaylor at lowebroadway.com (Moray Taylor)
wrote:

>I am desperatly seeking a good python editor, so far JEdit is the best
>I have found, but since it is written in Java, I find it painfully
>slow, and PyBrowse, although good, a little flaky.
>
>Can anyone reccommend a good python editor for UNIX/linux/IRIX. I
>don't mind paying for it, but $300 for SlickEdit is a little steep.
>
>Before all you Emacs/vi fanatics start ranting at me, I have tried,
>and hate, them both.
>
>I have only two requirements for my editor, syntax coloring, and a
>Class/function list.

I personally like SciTE best (http://www.scintilla.org), but it has no
class/function list. (However, you could expand it to do so, its open
source. Or, pay the developer $300 to add a function list ;) because
scintilla is really a cool product. Requires GTK, though.

Note that the default settings are a kind of downer, open the "global
options file" to see what is possible.