(Long) Re: Autocoding project proposal.

David Masterson dmaster at synopsys.com
Mon Feb 4 12:59:12 EST 2002

>>>>> Timothy Rue writes:

> NEED TO PUT MORE THOUGHT INTO THIS!!!
> *************************************

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Your (extended) program appears to be no better than the previous one
I looked at in that it doesn't appear to do anything useful.  My
memory of AREXX is ~10 years old, so some things in your program are
not obvious (like the PARSE command).  Overall, though, it appears to
merely do some convoluted printouts that I can't make heads or tails
of.

Since you can't seem to make us understand the value of V.I.C. from a
"whitebox" look at it, let's try a "blackbox" approach.  In a
"blackbox" approach, you give some examples of (expected) input and
(expected) output from V.I.C. and leave it to the reader to figure out
how V.I.C. will (or should) work.  Obviously, for this to work, your
examples must be well thought out and very concrete.  They must show
the usefulness of what V.I.C. does and they shouldn't need much in
explanation of how the input became the output.  And the more examples
you can provide, the better are the chances that someone will
understand what you're trying to do and develop the program to do it.

My recommendation, though, is that you put these examples on your
web-page and let us go look at them.  Posting them here would be bad
because they would probably get lost.

--
David Masterson                dmaster AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.