Can python handle operating a modem?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Feb 28 17:13:19 EST 2002

"G. Willoughby" wrote:

> Can python handle operating a modem? i.e. can i say, lift the hook on the
> line to see if there is a dial tone? and test this? are there any modules
> available for this?

Yes, in the sense that all of this is done by sending commands to a serial
port, and listening for a reply -- modem commands tend to be reasonably
simple and straightforward, from what little I've seen.  There's a number of
serial port modules available;  I don't know if there's a higher-level
library specifically for sending modem commands, but you might try searching
the Vaults (http://www.vex.net/parnassus/).

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International