Webizing Python

Michael Chermside mcherm at destiny.com
Fri Feb 8 09:42:10 EST 2002

> And seeing as I have very little information, I think it would be a good
> time to start criticizing.

I agree... this could ONLY be undertaken if we were EXCEEDINGLY careful
about security issues, versioning issues, and locality issues. Even Tim
Berners-Lee pointed out that he'd rather download modules to his
computer and run them locally -- and keep them stored locally, to be
updated only with his permission.

Perhaps the right approach is to FIRST build the python version of CPAN
-- a system for storing modules and libraries, which also provided some
way of rating the modules, dealt with versioning issues gracefully, and
also gave a practically-just-one-click-needed ease of downloading and
installing. Once something like this was built and working, THEN it's
time to add it to the language itself.

-- Michael Chermside