Pointers for solving windows GUI problem.

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Feb 28 17:07:20 EST 2002

Spencer Ernest Doidge wrote:

> Like you, I am looking for a pure Python/WinGUI solution. AS I just
> learned from this group, http://www.activestate.com has Visual Python, but
> you have to have Visual Studio .NET for that. That means many $$$ :-(

You do not need Visual Python in order to use the Win32 gui stuff from
ActiveState.  The PythonWin IDE is, in fact, a Python-wrapped MFC
application.  Everything you need to do the same comes with it, as part of the
ActivePython installation (or, I believe, in the win32all extensions).  I've
never *done* this myself, because I find that using wxPython is a higher level
of abstraction than what I remember of C++ Win/MFC programming, and is thus
easier to do -- and has the added benefit of being cross-platform, should I
ever have reason to care about that.  But you can certainly do wrapped-MFC
programming from PythonWin.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International