add-a-gram

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Wed Feb 20 13:51:21 EST 2002

"Magnus Lie Hetland" <mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no> wrote in message

> That's pretty quick... Anyway, if you ignore the setup-time (reading
> in the file and storing it in a useful way; this took 6 seconds),
> the search for a solution took 0.9 seconds on my PC -- implemented in
> Python, mind you.

Interesting, I must have done something different. My setup time is longer
(~15 s), but once it's setup I can find an anagram in something like 2/100
of a second, most of which is printing.

> (Of course ignoring the setup isn't very realisting
> in this case, where there is only one solution -- but if you were to
> be able to find an addagram of a user-supplied length, for instance,
> that would be realistic.)

I'm coming up with two words of length X for possible answers, did I mess
that up, or did you just mean that all we care about it X? X left
unspecified in case someone is still working on this.

-tim