Autocoding project proposal.

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Sat Feb 9 12:57:16 EST 2002

In article <3665.805T682T7313596threeseas at earthlink.net>,
Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>On 08-Feb-02 20:44:34 Peter Seebach <seebs at plethora.net> wrote:
>>In article <2106.802T789T14243611threeseas at earthlink.net>,
>>Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>C# is a subtopic of .NET / Mono, as is many other programing languages,
>>>including Python.

>>Unless, of course, you use that to build *your* framework.  They need
>>options.  Give them some.

>Who needs options?

The C# community.

>Or the community most likely to mimic it and try and shoot it down. MS has
>all the bucks to bullshit the public into believing what ever it is they
>want the public to believe. Embrase and extend right?

The programmers aren't the same as MS.  Anyway, if they *do* manage to mimic
it, then you win - we all win.  Autocoding will become a practical reality.

>>How would you know?  You never really know; you simply observe that your
>>current model covers everything you've seen.

>???? You assume what I've presented is a model that I've come up with and
>based on only what I've seen? You are greatly mistaken and in such, you
>also expose a bit of C# mindset. If you are to be an example of the
>Acceptance of what I present, then you are only accepting what you want
>to believe, not what is.

I'm not a C# person.

My assumption is that all human beliefs are based entirely on the available
data, and are subject to change when new data becomes available.

>There are over three thousand programming language. The VIC is not
>programming language dependant and as such I don't see any reason for me
>to learn another language, because there is always going to be someone
>that says what you do about some other language.

Ahh, but what you need isn't *language*, it's *community*, and the C#
community is the best match for you.

>I'm sure the VIC could be
>written in many different languages, so? What is important is having it
>written in a language that is widely (cross platform) available and freely
>available. C# doesn't fit that spec. but it doesn't mean the VIC can't be
>used to generate C# code.

Miguel de Icaza thinks that the .NET framework is the salvation of software
development on a lot of platforms.  I think you and he have a lot in common,
and if you can convince people like him of your plan, you have a better chance
of making it work.

>I'm in/on usenet where there is an unbiased date time stamped archiving
>machinery attachability (important in legal matters).

Good point.

>BUT YOU HAVEN'T NAMED A USENET C# NEWSGROUP, HAVE YOU?

No.  I assume there is one, although I don't know where it is.

>I have no fear of going into such a newsgroup. But then that is not what
>you are suggesting, is it? You really want me to just leave here and maybe
>go behind some damned closed door mailing list that has no inherent
>assurence that it can provided any unbiased date time stamped public
>accessible archive.

Actually, that had never occurred to me.  That does look like a problem,
but I'm sure you can find one.

Hmm.

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

Well, that's got its up side and its down side.  The up side is, Google
caches it, so it's got the public archive.  The down side is, the microsoft
hierarchy isn't universally accessible, although I know all the news servers
I use carry it.

>Name your favorite C# usenet newsgroup. If you pick a moderated one, then
>you pick a censored one, and you will not know the truth from it.

I object to the allegation that all moderated newsgroups are "censored" in
any meaningful sense.  The ones I'm familiar with don't post porn spam,
but that's about it.

Anyway, the above-named group is a public Usenet group,
moderately-well-propagated, and, despite the name, it's Usenet, and Microsoft
has no control over it.

>I have no reason to believe what I present will have any different effect
>on such a group of people as it apparently has here. You should think
>about that.

The people here (myself included) are hopelessly tied to conventional notions
of software engineering practice.  You need minds unfettered by such concerns.

-s
   Copyright 2001, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / seebs at plethora.net
   $ chmod a+x /bin/laden      Please do not feed or harbor the terrorists.
     C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!
Consulting, computers, web hosting, and shell access: http://www.plethora.net/