Status of PEP's?

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Thu Feb 28 18:43:29 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1014933174.3556.python-list at python.org>,
 "Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at NAREX.com> wrote:

> Since many of the brightest minds on c.l.py have tried hard to come up
> with a general range syntax without much success

I would argue with the "without success" opinion you express. I still like
    for lower_bound <= var < upper_bound
(or similar three-way comparisons, with middle argument of comparison
required to be a variable), in parallelism with the current "for var in
seq" with first argument of "in" required to be a variable.  I guess we
haven't made it into a PEP for the BDFL to rule on, if that's your measure
of success, but the only arguments I can remember seeing against it are (1)
some people view "in" as a keyword integrally attached to "for" rather than
part of an expression, and don't like for loops without "in", and (2) this
isn't sufficiently terse for those situations where you want an integer
range outside of a for loop.  Am I misinterpreting the previous discussion?
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/