Stumped by PhotoImage issue -- Think I've got it now

Joe joekm at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 27 21:34:06 EST 2002

Managed to solve the problem described below by tying the "OK" button
to a separate function in the "About" class
[ i.e. def buttonAction(self, event=NONE)]

Anyway, once I did that, the PhotoImage generated labels would
display.  I'm guessing that when Tk() finishes up, PhotoImage releases
its gifs.  What I was lead to believe on the net was that they needed
to be defined in a persistant way.  So I was trying to make them class
variables (self.keepMeAround], declaring them global, defining them
outside of the class then passing them to it and then redefining them
in the __init__ method, and other similar approaches.

The only clue other than that was discovering that if I broke the
button on purpose, the gifs would display (but the button would not).
So, not really thinking it would work I made this change:

instead of:

self.OK = Button(yada yada, command=AboutDialog.destroy)

I did this:

self.OK = Button[yada yada, command=self.buttonAction]

and then wrote a short function to destroy the About dialog window.

I'm guessing that this keeps a pending operation on the Tk() widget
which, in turn, keeps PhotoImage from loosing track of the gifs.  As
it happens, all the other times I've used PhotoImage in this program
the buttons all had functions defined separately.

......Anyway, that worked but if any of you programming experts out
there can add further clarification I'd appreciate it.