Why it does NOT work on Linux ?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 8 09:16:04 EST 2002

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
news:eEL88.24195$l93.4429576 at newsb.telia.net...
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > > Ladislav's use of findall works, but this feature of re.findall()
> > > is not documented and should be avoided, as undocumented features
> > > have been known to disappear.
> >
> > Nonsense. The function interface continues to be a fully-documented part
of
> > the re module.
>
> that's not what Jason was talking about:  he pointed out that the
> original code passed a compiled pattern object, not a string, as the
> first argument to re.findall.
>
> > You are apparently confusing
> >
> >     http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/node99.html
> >
> > (the re module contents description, which describes the functional
> > interface to regular expressions) with
> >
> >     http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/re-objects.html
> >
> > (the method descriptions for re objects). It may not be the way *you* do
it,
> > but that doesn't mean it's not documented <wink>.
>
> where does the documentation say that the "pattern" argument to
> re.findall can be either a string or a compiled pattern?

And I suppose you want me to listen to you just because you wrote the damned
code, right? Jason, thank you for your tolerance.

me-and-my-size-9-mouth-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py