a portable text user interface ?

J.Jacob joost_jacob at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 10:07:01 EST 2002

[Fredrik Lundh]
> http://effbot.org/efflib/console/index.htm
>
> about a 1000 lines, but that includes quite a few bells and
> whistles.
>
> the api is relatively clean; writing a curses implementation
> should be trivial (did most of that once, but lost the code).

The link you give has a link to a "downloads page" and that one gives
me a 404.
I did download one of the "old" version mentioned to try it and am
trying to use it to write a portable textui module; that textui module
should use curses when under unix/linux and could use your console
module when under Windows.  Not sure about Mac.  I hope you keep
working on the projects mentioned on your site, they look great.
What we really want is something portable in the Python distribution
itself and i think many more people would love it.  Especially for
programming projects in schools.  But i am not sure how to ask for it,
maybe at the sourceforge Python site under "Feature Requests"?
Portability is very important; students should be able to develop
things at home at their Mac or Windows pc and demonstrate it using
unix at the university.  We think portability is one of the best
things about Python and makes it very suitable for small programming
assignments in education.