[Slightly-OT] Wasn't Google supposed to be "avid Python-Users" ?

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 05:36:19 EST 2002

aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote in news:a3sk2i$67m$1 at panix2.panix.com:

> will attest.  However, they don't AFAIK use Python for their core
> high-performance code, and it appears that this contest is slated for
> that role.
>
> What does surprise me is that they think Java can do better than Python.

Well, I think the most enthusiastic supporter of Python has to acknowledge
that Python has a performance problem when systems are pushed to their
limits.  The fact that Python cannot be effectively compiled to machine
code (while Java can) makes a substantial difference when it comes down to
raw machine cycles, and Python's use of memory is not particularly
efficient.

I reckon to pay a cost of perhaps a factor of 100 in raw CPU for the
privilege of using Python.