I wish.............

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Sat Feb 9 06:53:31 EST 2002

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 11:26:14AM +0000, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:
> In article <mailman.1013246955.13570.python-list at python.org>, Oleg
> Broytmann wrote:
> >   Python is the (best) languge. CPython is one (and not the best)
> >implementation.
>
> Why is it not the best implementation? Which is better in your
> opinion?

   Currently there are no "best" implementations. Vyper promised to be one,
but it stale now :(

   It is slow. There are thoughts that using Jython and compiling byte code
to native code may give performance boost. My be we (at my job) will try to
experiment with the approach.

   Current CPython implementation stores bytecode files (*.py[co]) along
with the *.py files. This does not allow to use *.py[co] files with
different versions of python. That's why. for exmple, shared
/usr/local/lib/site-python is mostly meaningles; one needs to use
/usr/local/lib/python$VERSION/site-packges.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru