Three primary user Interfaces >Re: Please stop responding to Rue

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 00:40:46 EST 2002

On 10-Feb-02 17:27:04 Neil Hodgson <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>Timothy Rue:

>> MS DOS began with a Command Line Interface, then GUI but never did it
>> evolve it's Command Line Interface to have what is considered standard
>> functionality like command line history

>   Command line history became available with the DOSKEY command in MSDOS
>5.0 released 1991.

I was probably using something better then, like 4dos.

>> The Mac began it's user interfaces with the GUI, never really having a
>> Command Line Interface - Though Now it might have one in OSX.

>   There was the MPW Shell available to programmers. Even back in 1984 there
>were primitive command line shells for the Mac although the OS did not
>support many of the concepts, such as redirectable streams, that make
>command lines useful.

<shrug> only counts if user oriented. User oriented is one of the
requirements to being a User Interface....

>> Its third
>> user interface is limited or constrained to applescript.

>   It can be used from C or Python or UserLand Frontier or any other OSA
>(Open Scripting Architecture) supporting language.

Don't really know much about Mac, cept for having run an Mac emulator on
Amiga and I do recall having downloaded and tried out Frontier. I believe
I found it then not so user friendly.

>   Neil

But the target is of course having all three in a manner that they are
compatable with each other and the typical user.

Enough with the claim that users are to stupid to use such things when
they have proven to do much more complex things. Enough so that if given
the tools to automate what they do in a repeatable manner, they can
certainly automate their repeatable actions, and would.

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue at mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<