Usenet fascism

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 8 14:30:14 EST 2002

"Courageous" <jkraska at san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kk186ugk4hpo7m0eca81bv2lm2d0smnjiv at 4ax.com...

> >1. Nobody or nothing gives you that right.
>
> That's the _one_ thing you're mistaken about. I can
> entertain the idea of everything else you said, but
> the notion that people don't have the right to do this
> is just plain wrong. Plainly is the right not only held,
> but it can be exercised.

I suspect you are confusing rights and abilities.

If we are talking, and I am carrying a gun when something you say gets up my
nose, I have the ability to shoot you in the head just to make you feel
sorry you uttered inflammatory words.

I don't have the *right* to do that, however. Most civilized countries would
have some legal sanction if I exercised that ability.

not-that-you'd-be-any-less-dead-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py