Newbie question...

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 16:18:54 EST 2002

Le 18/02/02 à 21:00, bc90021 écrivit:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times already... I tried
> searching google with very little luck.  I'm a newbie to Python, but not
> to Linux.  (Though of course, RedHat has to make everything difficult
> with their RPMS and such... ;)  )
>
> I am trying to install Python 2.2 RPMS on a RedHat 7.2 system.  I can
> get the docs and the devel packages to install, as there are no
> dependencies for those.  However, when I try and install the Python 2.2
> rpm itself, I get the following:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
> 	rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) <= 4.0.4-1 is needed by python-2.2-7
> 	libcrypto.so.3   is needed by python-2.2-7
> 	libdb-4.0.so   is needed by python-2.2-7
> 	libssl.so.3   is needed by python-2.2-7

I had more luck recompiling the source rpms with rpm --rebuild.

> I have been unable to find out what rpmlib is or what the
> "PartialHardLinkSets" are.

No idea.

> Libcrypto.so.3 and libssl.so.3 are both related to OpenSSL, but as far
> as I can find on RPMFind.net, there is nothing above libcrypto.so.2 and
> libssl.so.2.*

Creating the necessary symlinks might help.

> * These are really just symlinks, I learned from searching google.
> Creating symlinks that point to the same thing with .so.3 didn't work.
>
> I also have no idea what libdb-4.0.so is...

Berkeley DB 4.0. These Python 2.2 RPMs seem to be built against some
pretty recent libraries btw.

> [...]
> If I get frustrated enough with this, I will just compile from source so
> that I can run my Python programs.

That's usually easiest. Easier than the DLL^w RPM dependency hell for
sure.

> However, since I uninstalled all the old Python stuff, all of my
> RedHat tools are broken.

I'd reinstall Python 1.5.2 from the Redhat installation media.

> I figure it will be easier to fix the Python dependencies than that
> RedHat tools,

I've had enough of Redhat once after approx. 10 minutes, so I'm not in a
position to judge, but I think it's better to not try to mess with its
Python 1.5.2. Look into the Python 2.2 SRPM - you can build it both
ways, as "primary" Python or as a "secondary" Python. The "primary"
version creates the /usr/bin/python symlink. The secondary version does
not.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 4.2 °C      Wind: 3.2 m/s