WANTED: IBM 1401 AUTOCODING WAREZ [was: Autocoding - the resistance to expect from psuedo programmers]

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Feb 4 20:51:22 EST 2002

Steven Majewski <sdm7g at virginia.edu> wrote:
> HEY DUDEZ !
> I WANT TO GET INTO THIS AUTOCODING THING.
> ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SOME IBM 1401 WAREZ ?
> -- MULTICS-MAN

FOR IMMEDIATE DISPATCH TO ALL PSU MEMBERS -- TOP SECRET

Recently a discussion has erupted on comp.lang.python on 'autocoding'.
While the resulting flamewar has lengthened the total age of the universe
by a significant amount, the Python Secret Underground still asks any and
all of its members to refrain from posting in this thread.

'autocoding' is in fact a secret PSU project. Using autocoding technologies,
it is expected the Earth can be saved from the dreaded alien whitespace
eating nanoviruses with just nine (9) commands. This is possible because
of advanced input and output redirection technology, which allows the
right sequences of commands to be generated using a simulated accomplishment
algorithm. This gives us many of the benefits of time travel without the
necessity of importing the timetravel module, allowing in effect a
true restricted execution environment for the 'grok' command.

Recently an unfortunate accident involving large quantities of an alcoholic
beverage and Guido's time machine has resulted in the creation of a rogue
mutant version of the timbot self-designated as 'Tim Rue', the name being
an obvious subtle clue as to its origins. The PSU member responsible for
this accident has been removed from the time stream and does not exist
anymore. Any lingering memories of a person called Steven Fredrikelli will
soon disappear.

The rogue heavily mutated 'Tim Rue' timbot immediately started to leak
details about the supremely secret 'autocoding' project to usenet.
Luckily its transcendent post-singularity knowledge is virtually
incomprehensible to pre-singularity humans. Thus, the PSU fully
expects that with a few simple measures lasting harm to this timeline
can be avoided, and that the secrecy of the autocoding project can be
preserved.