Hosting

Sheila King usenet at thinkspot.net
Wed Feb 20 20:53:00 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:08:59 -0500, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.1014250235.21771.python-list at python.org>:

> With the money you pay to ISP, why don't you get DSL with static IP, and
> run your own server?

Well, for one thing, he may not have a machine to dedicate to using as a
server, that is as reliable as a good hosting service. He may not always
be around to ensure that his server is up. Also, a good web host will
provide support and help you with things you aren't sure of.

On 20 Feb 2002 15:51:24 -0800, kdahlhaus at yahoo.com (Kevin Dahlhausen)
<283adf56.0202201551.7026d548 at posting.google.com>:

> Does anyone know of an inexpensive web host that allows compilation
> and use of Python extensions from  your own directory?

Well, I'm not sure what you have in mind by "inexpensive", but I highly
recommend FutureQuest.net. They have recently installed Python2.2. Bruce
Guenter (well known author of Qmail add-ons) is on staff and supports
the Python installation. http://em.ca/~bruceg/
The FutureQuest.net community is fabulous. http://aota.net/forums/

Here is a link to their homepage:

I have a basic plan, which is $20/month on a month-to-month basis,
$15/month if paid yearly. I write and run not only Python cgi-scripts,
but also python utilities and python mail scripts on my site.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

"When introducing your puppy to an adult cat,
restrain the puppy, not the cat." -- Gwen Bailey,
_The Perfect Puppy: How to Raise a Well-behaved Dog_