Python License Issues

christoforou at gaaros.com christoforou at gaaros.com
Wed Feb 13 14:16:40 EST 2002

Hello from rainy London

We have an issue with the python license which basically boils down to this:

If we ship an application that uses python, is the user of our application
bound by the python license agreement (PSF)? It seems so given clause 8 of
the PSF:

   8. By copying, installing or otherwise using Python 2.1.2, Licensee
      agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions of this License
      Agreement.

If such is the case we will encounter problems with clients that do not like
clause 4 of the PSF which states:

 4. PSF is making Python 2.1.2 available to Licensee on an "AS IS"
    basis.  PSF MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
    MPLIED.  BY WAY OF EXAMPLE, BUT NOT LIMITATION, PSF MAKES NO AND
    DISCLAIMS ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
    FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF PYTHON 2.1.2 WILL NOT
    INFRINGE ANY THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.

Some clients demand a certain level of 'protection' from situations of gross
misconduct, say python has stolen major chunks of code from other apps and
thus exposing them to huge legal risks. We can consider accepting liability
on all third party code we use, for such gross misconduct situations but is
it technically possible to do so given the PSF license? Ideally we would
like to negotiate a single license agreement with these clients (our license
agreement) which provides additional liability over and above to that which
PSF provides. However given clause 4 it seems that the client *must*
directly be bound by the PSF license.

Any comments?

Pavlos