Why Python is like BASIC ... java "vs" python

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Feb 17 01:25:22 EST 2002

john coppola <john_coppola_r_s at yahoo.com> wrote:

>OK fellas, I'm gonna break it down for you.  Python is
>nothing like BASIC or perl.  Neither is Java like C++.

It is silly to argue that Python is NOTHING like BASIC or Perl.

   i = 3
   print i * i

That program is legal and functional in both Python and BASIC.  I daresay
you could not write a similar program that works in BASIC and C, or Perl
and Java.  In this one aspect, Python is like BASIC.

(Actually, I just realized that this program:
   ;
is valid in both Perl and C, so perhaps I need to modify my statement to
say "...a single non-trivial program...".)

>I will admit that I used BASIC.  A friend turned me
>on to Python.  I never looked back.  You cannot
>compare things on basis of how they appear or the
>syntax of the language or certain similarities.

Of course you can.  There are as many ways to compare things as there are
things.  More, actually.

>You will begin to see that basic and python are
>nothing alike even though they are both interpreted.
>In what way is basic interpreted?  In what way is perl
>interpreted?

They are interpreted in the same way that Python is interpreted, in that
the usual implementations of all three languages are as interpreters that
do not translate to machine language.  The difference between interpreted
and compiled languages is important; it is perfectly valid to say that
"BASIC, Python and Perl are usually implemented with interpreters, whereas
Java, C and C++ are usually implemented with compilers".  In that one way,
at least, BASIC is like Python, and Java is like C++.

I just don't see the usefulness of the the rather strict position you are
taking.  Perhaps you could expand your thoughts for us a bit more.

>Java is not at all similar to C++.  Different.

This is also just silly.  "Similar" is not the same as "identical".  A
competent C++ programmer can pick up a typical Java program and read it
without further training.  There will certainly be aspects that require
explanation, but it's not a complete relearning process.  Java is not at
all similar to RPG, but it certainly IS similar to C++.

>Sorry to be so harsh.  Long day..

In my opinion, your position is not defensible, although I would certainly
invite you to post more on the topic.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.