Help: stuck on first example!

Flavian Hardcastle deathtospam43423 at altavista.com
Mon Feb 11 18:12:00 EST 2002

The example at http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Python/CGI/page3.html is
supposed to produce the text in my browser "Hello, Python", but it doesn't
do a thing.

Instead, using the Xitami personal server, I get the error

>Internal error: your request was unsuccessful
>Cannot create CGI process - program not found

Here is the text of the example...

#!/usr/bin/python

# Tell the browser how to render the text
print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n"

print "Hello, Python!"  # print a test string

I had a theory that the first line was the problem. The tut says that it's
used by Unix and Linux servers to tell the OS to initiate Python. I'm using
Win98, btw. I tried changing it to the following......

>#path = c:/Python22/Python.exe

and then directing to the file location on my HD ...

>#path = d:/Docs/Web/cgi-bin/index.py

... but in both cases the browser merely gave me the option of downloading
the file, or opening it using Python.

So what am I missing?