Xython - XML-Formed Python

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sun Feb 3 14:13:49 EST 2002

Le 03/02/02 à 16:49, Gerard Braad écrivit:
> Hello,
>
> For a long time now, I had the idea of XML-Formed Python. This way it
> would be possible to send Python code across a network connection.

IMO no need for XML there, marshal should be able to do that just as
fine.

> The only problem was, I didn't had much time to realise this. Way back
> in August I saw someone (mlh) had the same idea and in December the
> project page was included on the DDJ Python-URL. JEEJ!
>
> I wasn't aware of this and hadn't worked on it, until now... Work on the
> initial draft has started. If you are willing to help, don't hesitate
> and contact us...
>
>   //sourceforge.net/projects/xython/
>   //hetland.org/python/xython.php
>   //proj.survion.com/?page=xython
>
> Any help would be appreciated. We hope this will become a standard for
> inclusion of Python in XML documents.

I also had this idea once. I thought of it when my boss told me the new
Java app should use an XML config file in order to be buzzword compliant
=:-)

A very simple way to put Python code in XML would IMO be to base64
encode the Python source and then put it in a XML element. Or just use a
CDATA section. I can't think of a good reason to do this in reality,
though, except for the buzzword compliance.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 9.1 °C      Wind: 1.0 m/s