DBI possibly bogus error message

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 13 07:13:36 EST 2002

"Lee" <lee at jamtoday.com> wrote ...
> I'm a brand new Python user.  I've got Active Python (and Active Perl)
> installed on my wintel sysem.
>
> I'm using the pyperl module to reach  perl's DBI and DBD-Oracle
> modules.
>
> I follow the example in dbi2.py (which has an error, in the connect
> statement  by the way,instead of DBI:Oracle:database=blahblah  I
> needed DBI:Oracle:blahblah).
>
> After some mucking about, I got an error message "Cant locate
> Python/Object.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...<my path to Perl/lig and
> Perl/site/lib> )
> BEGIN failled--compiation aborted
>
> After that unpromissing beginning, lo and behold, I see the data I've
> selected from my oracle table neatly printed out as advertized.
>
> Anybody have a clue as to whats going on?
>
> Is the error truly bogus? If not, whats the problem and how do I fix
> it? If so, how do I surpress it?

Welcome to c.l.py.

Using pyperl to access Oracle is like taking a bus from New York to San
Francisco so you can fly to Los Angeles. There are perfectly good *Python*
modules for database access, the best-known for Oracle being cxOracle from
Computronix and DCOracle2 from Zope Corporation.

Save pyperl for when you *absolutely have* to use Perl-only functionality in
Python, and you'll limit your grief. In other words, "Don't do that!"

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py