basic books/guides on multithreading programming?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Feb 17 21:06:45 EST 2002

In article <7xlmdrmymb.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:

>There's a pretty good book called (I think) Java Threads.  I looked at it
>ages ago so I don't remember too much specific from it.  Python's threading
>module is sort of a subset of Java threads.

Not really.  Modeled on Java threads, yes, but Java requires threads on
all implementations where Python simply requires OS-level threads (and
punts if they're not available).  There are also some semantic
differences due to the Global Interpreter Lock.  Best to approach Python
threads as their own thing -- I've seen several people go astray because
they figured Python (technically, CPython) threads were the same thing
as Java.

That said, a book on Java threads can be a good resource for someone
wanting to learn about using Python threads, but you'd better have my
slides handy.  See http://starship.python.net/crew/aahz/

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk