TRYING to like python, but...

jimh jim at jim.jim
Fri Feb 8 16:46:56 EST 2002

I untarred, configured and built python 2.1.2.  It all seems to be working
fine.

I wanted to try out the xml.dom stuff, so I looked over the Python Library
Reference sections on xml.dom and tried one of the examples.  This is what
happened:

   xml.sax._exceptions.SAXReaderNotAvailable: No parsers found

Well, THAT'S helpful.

Nothing in Setup about xml.dom or xml.sax, so I assume that Setup is ok.
Besides, I WAS able to import and start using xml.dom.

So I get online and start searching around for this error message.  Find
some vague references to needing "expat" (whatever that is).  Ok, I remember
vaguely something about expat in Setup, so I go back to Setup and see that
TO USE A STANDARD PYTHON LIBRARY, I need to DOWNLOAD ADDITIONAL code (expat)
from SOME PLACE ELSE.

So I download it, compile it, update EXPAT_DIR in Setup to point to it (just
like the comments in Setup say).

So I ./configure again, and Make again, and, guess what??? IT STILL DOESN'T
WORK!!!  (xmlparse.h: no such file).

so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that I don't really have to go through ALL
OF THIS CONFUSING MESS just to get a STANDARD python library to work.
(xml.dom IS in the "Python Libary Reference", but there is NO mention of all
these additional steps required to actually USE it).

To be honest, if python is really this difficult to use, I am going to try
something different.

Someone please help me out here.

Jim Haffey