Tkinter + Entry + cp1251 cyrillic

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 25 05:56:53 EST 2002

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> Do you know whether I can reproduce this on a non-Russian Windows
> installation, eg. on a German XP installation?

I could answer this question myself. If you change the system
locale/codepage to "Russian" (for non-Unicode applications), and also
change the keyboard layout, then Python 2.2 will still display Latin
characters in response to keypresses. If Tcl finds its coding
directory, it will display the proper Cyrillic characters.

BTW, if you only change the keyboard layout (and leave the system code
page as cp1252), Tcl will display Latin characters no matter whether
it finds its encodings directory or not.

Regards,
Martin