Java vs Python ... ???

Ype Kingma ykingma at accessforall.nl
Sun Feb 17 06:23:35 EST 2002

Steve,

"Orr, Steve" wrote:

> What about Jython? Do you get some of the benefits of Java along with
> easier, more productive Python programming?

You get allmost all of the benifits of Java and allmost all of the benifits
of Python. Jython is not Java vs. Python, it's Java and Python.

> For instance, with the Oracle Application Server (not the database) you
> supposedly can have all your Java apps load balanced "for free" without
> having to write load balancing code. So I was wondering the other day, since
> Jython compiles to bytecode, will it run under applications servers (such as
> Oracle) and enjoy the same Java features those servers provide?

To get that working you need to:
- write a java method that calls jython code (see www.jython.org),
- have that method run in a load balanced way with your server.

> I want to have my cake and eat it too!

What are you waiting for?

Have fun,
Ype