Can use python to play MP3 file?

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Thu Feb 28 17:58:08 EST 2002

Ricky <store_li at sina.com> graced us by uttering:
> I hear that PHP can online play MP3 file. Is there any method that
> can make me play MP3 by using Python CGI?

If you mean an MP3 stream server written in Python, try edna
<http://edna.sf.net/>.  It will serve MP3s in a stream to the client
computer. (NB: it's up to the client to "play" the MP3, often through
MIME associations in the browser.)

If you mean you want an MP3 player written in Python, well, I don't
suggest it. Processing MP3 data is very processor intensive and is
often thought best accomplished with a compiled C program.  However,
cymbaline <http://www.silmarill.org/cymbaline/> is a Python frontend
to the (very pervasive) mpg123 MP3 player.

You don't mention which OS, so I should mention, this is from a linux
perspective. edna might very well work on Windows.

HTH
Tim Hammerquist
--
$ echo pizza > /dev/oven