win32 Zope 2.5.0 vs python2.1&win32all

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 04:08:08 EST 2002

In article <3C6C4C37.6020209 at skippinet.com.au>, Mark Hammond
<mhammond at skippinet.com.au> writes
>Robin Becker wrote:
>> I am having bad problems with zope not starting up properly. I think
>> this is caused by having Python-2.1.2 + win32all installed. It seems
>> that paths set up in the registry by win32all are getting into sys.path
>> when zope runs. This is causing massive confusion between modules
>> installed in the base python and those I wish to test with zope.
>
>IMO, the zope install should be fixed.  The Zope installer should decide
>if it wants to work with an installed Python OR it wants its own,
>discrete Python.
>If the latter (which is more professional) it should just take steps to
>ensure that it is partitioned correctly.  Generally, this should only
>mean changing *one* string in the compiled Python DLL, which will
>completely change the registry key used by Python to load sys.path.
>Obviously the installer itself then changes to reflect this new key, but
>that should be all that is necessary.
sounds right to me, they would also have to fix pythonservice as well.
Incidentally I notice that the path used by pythonservice is the 8.3 dos
mangled version. Inside the Zope startup script they're using the normal
long filename version to possibly correct the path. Will that not cause
problems?
--
Robin Becker