SystemError: unknown opcode

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 12 19:47:29 EST 2002

Carsten Gaebler <clpy at snakefarm.org> writes:

> I just got an exception from a script that is regularly run via cron.
> The script is supposed to choose a random signature file, which it
> does perfectly well. Just every now an then I receive the following
> error. I'd be glad if anyone could explain what's happening.

That's hard to explain; this is not supposed to happen.

One theory is that there is a hardware problem with your computer's
memory (or your hard disk), making it present the byte code
differently in memory than it is on disk. I've also seen file system
drivers stomp on the buffers they read from disk (Linux reiserfs in
particular).

It could be a bug in Python also, but that is unlikely :-)

Regards,
Martin