JAR equivalent in Gordon McMillan's Installer

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Feb 14 18:39:34 EST 2002

> Hmm. Looks more messy than I'd hoped. Needs a bootstrap
> module, and then
> extra hacking to handle open/read. And I guess the fact that I'm doing
> this manually means that there's not much chance of something like a
> wxPython toolbar "just working" with icons stored in the archive.
>
> I guess it's not worth the hassle.
>
> The reason I liked the Java approach, BTW, is that a complete
> application comes in a single file, which you can just double click on
> and it works. Nothing to unpack, put it anywhere you like, run off a
> floppy/CD/zip disk, no dependencies (other than needing Java
> installed).
> But it's just a convenience thing - not enough to endure
> writing all my
> code in Java :-)

http://www.jython.org/

Python implemented in Java. Has a standard system (jythonc) for compiling to
java classes and packaging them up as a jar file which does everything you
want.

In most cases you don't need to produce any java code at all - just code in
Python. It makes it *really* easy to use Swing too - much easier than in
Java.

Tim Delaney