Problem building Python 2.2 docs

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Mon Feb 11 19:40:51 EST 2002

I just loaded a fresh Red Hat GNU/Linux 7.2 system on a newly
formatted hard disc, and then installed Python 2.2 on it from the .tgz
file.  Python 2.2 itself built and installed just fine.  When I typed
"make" in the Doc directory though, a bunch of errors resulted, like:

     *** processing declarations ***

     *** Fatal Error --- but easy to fix ***

    Cannot have '.' in file-name prefix, else dvips fails on images
    Change the name from  /home/phr/Python-2.2/Doc/lib/lib.tex  and try again.

    *** Session transcript and error messages are in /home/phr/Python-2.2/Doc/html/lib/lib.how.
    *** Exited with status 255.

I don't remember having this problem with Python 2.1.1 under Red Hat 7.1.

Is this a known bug, in either Python 2.2 or Red Hat 7.2?

Thanks.