Major league corruption - anyone seen anything like this?

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Wed Feb 13 03:59:09 EST 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 05:42:15PM -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> been lightly tested), but I've never seen a segfault take files with it like
> this.  Has anybody else encountered this before?

   Looks like a hrdware error. Memory error, or disk error. For example I
have a number of Pentium computers with VIA Apollo VP3 Pro chips, and on
most of them Linux upon loading disabled DMA to disks. Once I tried to
force DMA (using hdparam) and in a minuite was forced to reboot and run
fsck - files were started to be corrupted all over the disk.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru