Global Variables in Modules

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Feb 12 14:05:43 EST 2002

Jeff Clement wrote:

> What I'm actually doing is running a code block in an exec block and declaring a bunch of globals for that exec.  The code block imports some modules and I need those to be able to see the global variables.  I can make this work by adding them to __builtins__ but that doesn't seem right somehow :)

Chances are that if you're using exec, you're not doing things in the best way possible.  In the year that I've been using Python, I don't think I've seen *any* situation that's best done with an exec.  (Admittedly, I haven't been doing anything at all esoteric, but still....)  I'd recommend seriously
rethinking your architecture, honestly--exec/eval() are nice to have around, just in case, but using them is a big red flag that something ugly is going on.  (It's good to have a fire extinguisher, too, but I wouldn't use one to put out a candle....)

However, as far as the global variables go... if you really must do this, then the best solution is to have a separate module (called globalvars or constants or whatever) that all your other modules import;  they can then read (and modify) variables in that module as needed.  (Though beware that while
global constants are useful, depending on global variables *is* a major source of bugs... do it if you need to, but be careful.  :) )

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International