python stripping LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Jeff Shipman shippy at nmt.edu
Wed Feb 27 10:44:20 EST 2002

Mitch Chapman wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Python is not removing LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  The runtime loader
> ld.so is doing so.  I think this is for security reasons,
> i.e. to prevent someone from slipping a bogus shared library
> implementation into the runtime environment of a privileged Unix
> executable.  Or something like that :)
>
> See the ld.so(8) man page.  Here's an online copy turned up
> by Google:
> 	http://www.cwi.nl/~aeb/linux/man2html/man8/ld.so.8.html
>
> The relevant excerpts:
> 	The shared libraries needed by the program are searched
> 	for in various places:
> 	o Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Except
> 	  if the executable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which
> 	  case it is ignored.

What can be done about this? Is there a place in
the python internals I can add the necessary information
to allow me to start up? I really must run this wrapper
suid to another user and it really must connect
to Oracle.

Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: shippy at nmt.edu
Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy