Problems with telnetlib

Patrick Vrijlandt p.vrijlandt at aig.azn.nl
Tue Feb 19 05:30:16 EST 2002

"Bengt Richter" <bokr at oz.net> schreef in bericht
news:a4shr2$49s$0 at 216.39.172.122...
> It's not clear to me that it's generally advisable to ignore
> all the command codes telnetlib.py ignores (which is the apparent
> effect of the self.msg() call), but that will depend on what
> you are communicating with, and what you're doing with it, I suppose.

You're quite right.

In fact, telnetlib should keep a database of all these options, and possibly
the extended options, on the client side, on the server side, and wether
these have been negotiated or not. It should be able to handle all these
requests by providing an adequate answer.
In the past I worked with an implementation that denied everything the
server requested and it served my purpose.
I didn't go deep enough to make a new version of telnetlib.

Although telnetlib seems rather buggy, there is not much request for
improvement on c.l.py, so I think it is barely used, or
it works fine with most servers.

> Where is the mystery telnetlib.py author? ;-)
At least, he does not seem interested now...

BTW: New syntactic sugar (generators) might be nice for telnetlib too! This
would mean the necessary improvements (patches) wouldn't make it back to
1.5.2. though, which might or might not be an argument (Are we still taking
bugs out of 1.5.2?)

--
Patrick Vrijlandt