Defending the Python lanuage...

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 8 14:47:49 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:23:50 -0500
Steve Holden wrote:

> "Cliff Wells" <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote ...
> > However, this discussion does give me the idea that pair-programming
could
> > be very beneficial if programmers were rotated on some schedule, so
that
> > one day they watched someone else and on another someone else watched
> them,
> > especially given a group of several programmers that could be rotated
> > through.  This way, programmers would get enough time doing development
on
> > their own but still have a chance to share ideas with other programmers
in
> > their group.  Too bad I'm not in a position to give it a try :P
> >
> The idea behind pair programming is exactly that such rotations should
take
> place. You seem to think that two prograqmmers are joined at the hip when
> teams are formed, but in fact the pairings arise fairly spontaneously in
> most cases.

Well, I obviously didn't know much about pair-programming at the start of
this thread (and I have learned quite a bit so far), so I was under a
mistaken impression regarding rotation.  Seen in this new light I would
have to reconsider my earlier position (although I still retain the right
to be skeptical ;).

> You should try it. I spent six months in Stockholm thirty years ago, and
> would still love to go back to Sweden. Also AB Strakt are serious about
> Python, so you wouldn't be forced to usae something ghastly like C++.

Hrm.  You aren't just trying to get rid of me, are you?

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)

"Then with your new power you'll accomplish all sorts of cool stuff
 in no time, and We'll All Be Sorry.  At that point you can either
 gloat a bit, and then relent, or go ahead and send the robot army
 after us." - Quinn Dunkan