Status of PEP's?

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Wed Feb 27 22:28:37 EST 2002

Samuele Pedroni <pedronis at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Maybe this is a useful insight:

> in mathematetics it is not uncommon to
> identify the natural numbers with the set
> of their predecessors

> 0 = {}
> 1 = {0} = {{}}
> 2 = {0, 1}  {{},{{}}}
> etc

I can immagine a mapping from the natural numbers to such sets, but I
guess you really mean they are thought of as being identical. Right?
And I guess those sets are ordered too, or is that just an extra
you added to make it work?

> so having
>   for i in 5
> iterating over 0,1,2,3,4

> is natural in mathematical sense

> (which does not mean automatically that it is newbie friendly <wink>)

Not only newbie unfriedly, you need a firm grasp of modern set based
number theory to appreciate it, it seems.

--
groetjes, carel